Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Record Finds 30/06/2010

It was Wednesday. Not just Wednesday, but an excellent Wednesday at that.

Why?

Because I BOTH got to see Toy Story 3 at Silvercity and picked up some vinyl records yesterday as well!

The local thrift shop usually has their 50% off sales on Fridays, but in some rare cases they do these sales on other days, such as Mondays and Wednesdays. In this case, this particular 50% off sale happened on the latter day of the week (the day I went to the thrift shop, which is Wednesday). So I got lucky and scored some finds! Not as many as that other Friday, but I'll tell you what I got:

Various Artists - K-Tel Double Gold (1983)
Note: I got this one because unlike other K-Tel albums, the grooves aren't so squeezed together! I hope this album doesn't have the terrible volume errors that other K-Tel albums do...

Erroll Garner - Paris Impressions Volume II (195?)

Various Artists - 41 Original Hits from the Soundtrack of "American Graffiti" (1973)
Note: Heck, one of the two records were missing, but I still got it!

The Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue (1984)
Note: This one's for you Eric Woofson.

The Alan Parsons Project - Stereotomy (1985)
Note: This one's also for you Eric Woofson.

Waldo de los Rios - Symphonies for the 70's (1975)
Note: This guy does some awesome popified versions of classical compositions. I already have three of his albums, "Sinfonias", "Mozartmania", and "Operas"!

The Charlie Daniels Band - A Decade of Hits (1983)
Note: Not only did the devil run down to Georgia, but the South's gonna do it again!

Various Artists - Pretty in Pink (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1986)
Note: Features music by OMD, Suzanne Vega, INXS, the Psychedelic Furs, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Smiths, and more.

The Cars - The Cars (1978)
Note: The Cars self-titled debut album. I dare not mess with WMG's foolish copyright act, so I won't post anything from it on YouTube.

Tears for Fears - Shout (12" single) (1984)
Note: I have "Songs from the Big Chair on vinyl". And well, that's nice.

The Monks - Suspended Animation (1981)
Note: Punk rock band consisting of former Strawbs members. If you may not know already, this album was a Canadian exclusive and was released nowhere else!

Journey - Frontiers (1983)
Note: This album is what made Journey the masters of 80's rock. Did you know that Bally Midway made an arcade game based on the band to concide with an ongoing US tour? That is 100% true!

Duran Duran - The Reflex (12" single) (1984)
Note: I'm still looking for Union of the Snake.

Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It (12" single) (1985)
Note: I already have this 12" single. I bought a second copy because I'm gonna put some records up for trade soon!

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle (1979)

Foriegner - Agent Provocateur (1984)
Note: As with the Cars record, I daren't post this on YouTube because it's WMG.

A-HA - Hunting High and Low (1985)
Note: WMG again! Ha! Now I wonder why I have so many Warner Bros records in my trip?

Dr. Hook - A Little Bit More (1976)

Depeche Mode - Stripped (12" single) (1986)
Note: German pressing on Mute. I won't let WMG mess around with this one either!

Leonard Bernstein - Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris (195?)

Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World (The Urban 12" mix part 2) (12" single) (1984)
Note: I also have this same song on a 10" 45 rpm single. Huzzah!

The Kinks - State of Confusion (1981)
Note: I already have this album. The copy that I bought yesterday is a Columbia House issue, and I might be thinking about putting it for trade!

The Music Department of the Halifax School Board - Ukulele Yes (197?)
Note: Uke NO? Uke YES! That four stringed Hawaiian instrument that everyone's been playing for years... well it's smaller than a guitar, and it has a higher tuning!

Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are (1973)
Note: You might expect your rock-n-roll YouTuber to try to upload "Woman from Tokyo", but he gets angry at the fact that it is blocked by WMG. And they ain't gonna get on my knees. Fer sure.

The San Sebastian Strings - Home to the Sea (1969)
Note: Rod McKuen redaing poetry over fitting orchestral music... nice. Also don't forget that this album employs the Haeco-CSG system, which was a way to battle against monophonic compatability problems with strereo records by shifting the phasing on the right channel about 90 degrees.

Well that's all my finds for today. See you later, and have a nice Canada Day!

Ryan AKA OldMusicOnVinyl1 signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment